Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Undeserving

One question I have often asked myself is why on earth does God love me? I have never been able to put a definitive answer on it, and I don't think I ever will. However, I did experience God's love in the most powerful way I have yet to experience here.

Tabby, one of our translators is doing a VBS in the church she works in. She invited us to come to Campani to be a part of the VBS for a couple of nights. Randy, Ade, and I agreed to go. I was pretty excited to get to see 4 of the kids from camp last week. We got there and piled out of the van. No longer than two minutes after I got out of the van, a young girl came up to me and started asking me questions and telling me how big I am. She kind of stared at me a bit and didn't say anything.

After getting the stuff for rec out Tabby had to go set up so I was left outside with the kids and after getting to know them all I found out this precious girls name. Alisa. Throughout the time we were there she pretty much stuck by my side. And even through the lesson about trust, she spoke up and said that she trusted me. Alisa had no idea who I was. She knew nothing about me. I had done nothing to deserve her trust.

At the end of the night, I asked Tabby about her past. Alisa was orphaned at birth and ultimately ignored until she was five years old. When she was five she was taken in by a family and was finally taught how to speak. And because of this, she is a little bit behind all of the others. She is now 12 and absolutely gorgeous.

When it came time to leave our last night at the VBS, all the kids were upstairs doing crafts when we left, she grabbed my arm and would not let me leave. She squeezed my arm and just before she walked me down she said "Te iubesc". In Romanian that means I love you.

This little girl had no reason to trust or love me. I had never met her before yet she loved me. As I began thinking about this, I thought about how much our God loves us. We spit in his face, we disobey him, we constantly reject the love he offers for earthly things. See this girl loved me even though I didn't know her, but yet, our God who knows every time we will choose to reject him, chooses to love us.

Oh, how undeserving I am.

4 comments:

The Beaver Bunch said...

We are all undeserving my friend. That's why the grace is, indeed, so amazing.

Can't wait to play some spikeball with you when you get back! Maybe Luke can damage your other shoulder.

Only Servants Ministries said...

Wow. I know that had to be humbling my friend.

~Chris

Unknown said...

Can I tell you... that made me cry. That is simply precious. Praying for you and your sweet friend.

Anonymous said...

a reflection of God's love can both ways ... we can receive it and we can give. You keep on reflecting His love towards others and He will reveal more of His plan for you. Keep on going. Be amazed, praise and thank Him, and Him what next, write it down and keep going....
SOGB