Saturday, June 19, 2010

Journey's in Romania

I have been troubled by the thought of going on yet another mission trip for the last few weeks. Every time I would talk to someone, I would talk about the mission trip I was going on. For whatever reason, unknown to me, the word trip bothered me.

As I have thought about it, I could not figure out why the word trip bothered me. Until I had a conversation with a friend from the states on facebook just yesterday.. err Thursday. I jokingly greeted this person by saying whats up slacker, because with the time change it was late morning when they woke up. This person replied, "slacker? who's the one on facebook while on a mission's trip?"

I responded with, "this is also where I am living for the next two months." After that, the conversation quickly turned into catching up and such. But that part of the conversation has been eating away at me for the last day or so.

I keep going back to the word trip. I have come to realize that I am not on a trip right now. I am living here. I am not on a vacation here. I am living here. Whether it's for two months or five days. I am living here.

I have come to see why the word trip bothers me. And it's because the word trip implies that I am doing something different that what my daily routine calls for. And in this case, that something different is serving the Lord with everything I have.

As Christians we are supposed to live out our faith. If I am living out my faith, should there be any difference, other than location, in my daily routine while on a mission "trip"?

Serving the Lord is our mission. Serving the Lord is what we live for no matter the location - Romania, Kenya, India, Japan, America. I no longer am on a mission trip, instead I simply see myself as on a journey living in Romania

My question to you is are you living out your faith on a day to day basis, or do you go on mission "trips" to serve God? And maybe, just maybe it's because we go on mission "trips" that we often revert to life as normal with in two weeks.

P.S. This is part of the reason I love Romania. This is what I go to sleep to every night.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kevin- this kind of blew my mind, but you are so very right. We as Christians shouldn't be going on " misson trips" because that means were changing something in our life by going. And, sadly,that's generally the case. We go on these "trips" and most have never done anything like what were doing on that trip. It's something thats completely different than life back home... we're not making our lives a mission for Christ... just the few days we can leave the country to share it our message. Some missionaries... You've given me a lot to chew on sir. I miss your face sir.... but I know you love your current home. :)