Sunday, March 8, 2009

Suspect?

Today has been a long, but fun day. After church I went out to eat followed by some hangout time at the Rollins. Around 3:30 I left to go hangout at the Bryant's to watch the Carolina game with Grace and Paige. I was exhausted by this time and after the game everyone was leaving and I went to go play an uneventful game of disc golf since it was so nice outside.

I got to Mill's Home to play and left my keys in my glasses case got out and left to go play disc golf. It started to get dark whilst I was playing so I decided to call it quits after 16 holes around 6:55 pm. I walked up to my car only to find it locked. Time for me to get creative.

I pull out my putter which has the biggest lip on the outside and squeeze my arm through my cracked window and attempt to unlock my back door. I come up WAY short. So after approximately ten minutes of attempting with my putter, I give up on that idea and move to my next brilliant idea.

There happened to be a lot of sticks laying on the ground around my car. I pick one up and attempt to break it to test its durability. It does not break. So, I take it to my car and carefully maneuver the stick into my car window. I get the stick into my handle and as soon as I go to pull my handle the stick snaps in half. So my brain keeps on working at its full potential and I search for another, larger stick. I find one and once again I maneuver the stick into my car and start pulling the handle. Naturally, there is a problem. The stick was too large and would not come back far enough to open my door. I was attempting to unlock my car this way for about twenty minutes. When a flashing light catches my eye.

I turn around only to see a police officer pulling over a car across main street. My next brilliant idea comes to mind. I think to myself go ask the cop to help unlock your car but then it occurs to me that I would have to walk up to him at night which is pretty sketchy. So I keep trying the stick idea for about 5 more minutes before giving up and deciding to walk to main street. As I approach Main Street, the cop is in his car writing a ticket so I decide to stand across the street and wait until the officer is finished with the ticket.

After about five minutes of waiting for the officer to get out and approach the car in front of him a train comes along. No more than thirty seconds after the train comes along the officer gets out of his car. He talks to the people receiving the ticket and then begins walking back to his car. It is at this time that I start jumping up and down saying officer and waving my arms in an attempt to get his attention. I finally get it and he comes across the street. I tell him my predicament and he responds "What?" Once again, I explain my situation, this time a little bit louder. This time his response scares me a little. "Get in the car", he states. I reluctantly walk across the street with him. He opened the door to the backseat and I got in. He shut the door. The officer walked around the car, got in, and proceeded to ask what happened. I explained my situation and he started talking into his radio with a bunch of number and codes and such.

"Suspect approached on foot" is what I heard next. This kinda caught me off guard. I did not know I was a suspect for asking an officer to help unlock my car. He went on to ask where my car is and I pointed him in the right direction. We get there and I go to get out of the car. Except I can't. I did not realize that the officer had to let me out. He came and let me out then the officer went to his trunk and got his unlock tool thing. I informed him that the drivers side window was cracked. He goes to unlock my car and as soon as he got his tool in my car he dropped it. What a predicament. My keys are in my car along with the tool to unlock my car.

The officer now has to begin to think creatively like I had to do. He reached for his belt and pulled off the beater stick thing. He extends it and proceeds to open my car using that.

After more than an hour of thinking creatively, I was able to get into my car. The officer drove off and I returned home. My spare key is now in my room instead of in my car. Good thinking right?

4 comments:

The Beaver Bunch said...

Hahahaha. "Suspect Approached On Foot"

At least you didn't have a black eye whilst approaching the officer. Now THAT would have been funny.

The Beaver Bunch said...

BTW, "Spike" misses your face.

I'm Just Sayin said...

I am pretty sure that, oh, less than 1/4 mile from where you were are TWO families that you know WELL that could have helped you.
I mean, we live just down from where you were and the Beavers are even closer.

But as you said, you racked your brain to figure out what to do!

Ha ha! Love you buddy!

Matt Rollins said...

It IRKS ME BAD that he didn't know you from Adam, and just let ya sit in his car without patting you down. You could have had a Desert Eagle .50 cal in your belt, sitting right behind him. I like to see cops live, so hopefully a more experienced officer will slap some sense into that guy one day.

Are you sure that officer didn't say "subject"?
I mean, who knows... that guy may not have have searched a "suspect" either.