Friday, April 24, 2009

Unknown God

Down here at school there is this guy, who will remain nameless, but I will refer to his as bearded music man throughout, who has recorded a CD, he has played for the Gardner-Webb radio station, and, he is doing a concert tonight on the quad. He has also put his music up on myspace and different websites so people can listen to it.
Everyone that I know of down here that has heard him, thinks he is TERRIBLE, including myself. And because I think his music is terrible, I have found myself thinking he is a terrible person because of his music - judging him based on what I know about him.

I think I find it very easy and almost comfortable to say that we judge other people on a consistent basis. I find it comfortable because I know that everyone else does it. But what do we judge about others? We judge the areas that we think they are lacking in. The areas that that person might not be so strong. In the example above, I judge bearded music man because his music sounds AWFUL. We all have these areas that we are not as strong in. We all lack in some area and can be judged by others accordingly.

I am reminded of the passage in Matthew 25, The Final Judgment in which Jesus is talking to people about Judgment day. He talks about those who clothed Him when He was naked, those who fed Him when He was hungry, those who gave Him something to drink when He was thirsty, etc. Then some more outstanding people in the community came and asked, “When did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? … Or naked and give you clothing? ...” Jesus continued the story by saying in verse 40, “I tell you the truth when you did it to the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!”

This has really hit home to me lately. I think that because of the phrasing of verse 40, it includes the hurtful things we did to the least of his, or those who were lacking in an area. So when I judge people, I am also judging God.

I have found that over the past few months I will trust God when I know He can do it. When I have seen him do it before, but if I haven't seen Him come through, I take control over the situation attempting to fix it myself. I judge God based on what I have seen Him do before and tend to take control over the areas I haven't seen Him work in.

It is easy to subject ourselves to things we can physically say are true, but how much more difficult is it to take second place to a God we have know so little about?

1 comment:

Matt Rollins said...

Good post dude, I like a reminder on issues like that.