Sunday, July 4, 2010

Follower

Well, it has been a while since I have posted. We had camp this past week and it was absolutely incredible! There is nothing better than spending an entire week with kids and just loving on them and having a GREAT time! I have a couple of stories I want to share with you all from camp.

For those who don't know me, I love to give high fives and fist pounds. One of my favorite things to do with all the kids is to come up with a handshake with them. So throughout the week, different kids and I come up with new handshakes. Well, I met this one little 11 year old girl who is absolutely adorable. Her name is Stefania (pictured below), and we came up with a very simple hand shake and did it all the time.

On Thursday we went on a hike, like we always do. I was carrying a bunch of water and walking at a pretty fast pace. Stefania stayed right by my side the entire way up. If I stopped to fill up someone's water bottle, she stopped and waited with me. When I started walking again, she started along right by my side. If she got in front of me, she would look back just to make sure I was there and then wait for me to catch up. On Friday night, we had the invitation as we normally do, and she was on of the people who made decisions to follow Christ. There is just something about seeing someone you know, especially a child, come to know the Lord. I am so very proud of her.

The team from Florida had to leave on Friday night to get to the airport on Saturday morning. So Ade and I went with the team on Friday night. The kids don't go home until Saturday morning so we missed out a little bit with the kids but Friday night is probably my favorite memory of all. After worship, I had to go up to my cabin to pick up my bags so I could leave.  (The boys pictured to the left were in my cabin along with two others.) As I got up to my cabin, all 5 of them were waiting there crying . They all ran up to me and hugged my legs and gave me different crafts that they had done throughout the week. As I finish giving all of them hugs, I hear some people outside calling my name. I thought it was time to go. So I pick up my bag and one of the boys takes it for me. I walked out and there were 15 to 20 children waiting at the bottom of the stairs to give me a hug.

I don't understand it. I never will. I simply come to love on kids, and they end up teaching me much more then I can imagine.


For those who are praying for me, we are traveling to Ukraine tomorrow morning and I am very excited about that. Health has also been an issue this past week. Ade wasn't feeling good on Thursday morning, I was throwing up and had a bit of a fever on Thursday night, and so health and energy are ways we need prayer the most right now. I thank all of you very, very much!

5 comments:

Katie Axelson said...

Kevin,
First of all: I taught a little kid the rocket ship the other day. He was maybe two, so he had a hard time with it, but he enjoyed it. :-)

It's so cool to hear about your experiences with the kids. Especially with kids like Stephanie and the boys. It does not surprise me at all, knowing you and your love to serve and jump right in to help kids.

Be blessed, brother, and Happy Fourth of July! :-)

<>< Katie

Only Servants Ministries said...

They never leave your heart bro! Promise.

~CT

Jo said...

It is gud to know your experience...I've a small kid....coming to that time....now it is a bit tough.....:)

The Beaver Bunch said...

Isn't that exactly how the Lord blesses our obedience though? As we go out in faith, seeking to bless others He takes us by total surprise and bless us more than we could have ever expected.

Missing you friend. Hugs to you from all us Beavers.

Anonymous said...

Aishwarya Rai Biography