Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Dance

Dancing. It is something that we all do. Good or bad, we all dance. I love driving down the road listening to loud music and dancing. Playing drums on my steering wheel is on of my favorite things to do.

Dancing is something that we go do for fun. It is a from of entertainment. There are different types of dances for different types of people. TV even has a show about dancing with famous people. I want to tell you about dancing with a famous person.

This past week I was in Odessa, Ukraine working with four students to develop the arts of clowning as a use for children's ministry.  They learned every thing from magic tricks to skits to juggling in the mornings. And in the afternoons, we would go to different orphanages, hospitals, or parks to practice. (I was not a clown for most of the week because  I was taking pictures for everyone.) There were two places that we went that really got my mind rolling. The first was a hospital for physically handicapped children. As I took pictures and watched these kids smile I found myself in awe of them. I wasn't staring awkwardly. I wasn't turning my back ashamedly. I was smiling because of the joy they possessed despite the difficult times they face.

The second place that will be embedded in my mind forever was the Down Syndrome Orphanage that we visited on Monday. This time, I was talking to Kate (a Ukranian) about her experience there. Tearing up she told me this story.

"I was playing with one little girl who has never been able to walk. She has been in a wheel chair her entire life. As the puppet team was singing its last song, she asked me to dance with her."

So they danced.

I can only hope that through all the adversities I face in my life that I can dance. I pray that we can be filled with the same joy that David had when he was able to bring the ark into the city of David.  He danced before the Lord because he knew that he could not bring the ark into the city with out the Lord.

These children understand that there isn't much they can do without the help of others, and when this girl had the opportunity, she chose to dance.

I hope that we choose to dance with joy for the Lord because we know we are incapable of doing anything without Him.



4 comments:

Katie Axelson said...

I got to dance before the Lord this week, too. Just like David. He was almost naked, but I'm thankful we skipped that part. :-)

Love that song, too!

<>< Katie

gk said...

Awesome story!!

I'm gunn need you to update your blog more often, now that I'm actually able to read it, mmmkay?

Anuja said...

I also love to dance. Can't say I am the best of dancers (my dance club coordinator in college once came close to strangling me cos I take forever to learn steps and then I forget them) but dancing makes me happy. Right now I am learning to belly dance. It is so much fun and such a stress buster

Anonymous said...

I love dance too!
That girl can dance?
I sympathize with her, but I can do nothing.