Monday, October 19, 2009

Shooting for the Stars

I don't know about you, but stars and the night sky have always fascinated me. I love looking up on a clear night and seeing countless amounts of stars scattered across the sky. While I was in Romania, I had numerous opportunities to go star gazing in a place with very little light pollution. Talk about AMAZING!

Well my friends, last night was amazing as well. As I laid outside underneath the stars with the temperature dropping below freezing, I was captivated by the stars once again. Normally, when I sleep I have to take my glasses off so I don't roll over and damage them or anything. Well, last night I was extremely sad to take off my glasses. In the almost two hours that I watched the stars beaming in the sky, I saw roughly 15 shooting stars. And again when I woke up at 6, I saw another five shooting stars dart across the night sky.

I have been wondering about shooting stars and where they come from, how do they get moving so fast, where are they going, how does something like this happen? I know it can all be explained scientifically, but the fact that I don't know allows me to see them as something more beautiful than just another fact.

I wrote a blog when I first got introduced into this world of blogging entitled stars, talking about how we are to be the light in the dark world. But my question now is should the light be stagnant - standing still - sitting there? If we are the light to the world should we be stagnant?

I have been reading in Luke 3 and more specifically the story of John the Baptist and how he prepared the way for Jesus. Verses 8-11 say:

Prove by the way you live that you have repented of your sins and turned to God. Don't just say to each other, 'We're safe, for we are descendents of Abraham.' That means nothing, for I tell you, God can create children of Abraham from these very stones. Even now the ax  of God's judgement is poised, ready to sever the roots of the trees. Yes, every tree that does not produce good fruit will be chopped down and thrown into the fire. Then the crowds asked, 'What should we do?' 
See once we are saved, we are to be lights of the world that force people to ask questions about our lifestyle. We should be different, we should live a lifestyle that catches others attention.

Can you picture this? A world where Christians are not afraid to be different? Next time you get a chance (tonight is supposed to be very clear as well),go out and look at the stars. But don't look for the shooting stars, look for the beauty in the subtle differences. Examine how you can make a difference right where you are. I think you will be amazed at how different each and every star is.

No comments: